skip to main content
Energy Performance Certificates


What are Energy Performance Certificates?

Much like the multi-coloured sticker on new appliances, EPCs tell you how energy efficient a building is and give it a rating from A (very efficient) to G (inefficient). They let the person who will use the building know how costly it will be to heat and light, and what its carbon dioxide emissions are likely to be.

The EPC will also state what the energy efficiency rating could be if improvements are made, and highlights cost-effective ways to achieve a better rating. Even if you rent your home, some improvements noted on the EPC might be worth your while - such as switching to more energy-efficient light bulbs.

Once produced, EPCs are valid for ten years.

Why get an Energy Performance Certificate?

If you're selling or renting out a domestic property or commercial building, you must get an approved Domestic Energy Assessor to produce the EPC. The EPC needs to be available to potential buyers as soon as you start to market your property for sale or rent.

If you already own your home, the process of getting an EPC produced can help you identify ways to improve the energy efficiency of your home. As EPCs are valid for ten years, you will then have an accurate EPC ready if you decide to sell or rent within this period (unless you improve your home subsequently, in which case you may wish to get a fresh EPC done to include those improvement.


Energy Performance Certificates and Feed-in Tariffs

From 1 April 2012, customers in England, Wales and Scotland wishing to get payments under the government's Feed-in Tariff (FIT) for solar PV will need to be able to prove that their home has an EPC rating of band D or above to receive FITs at the standard rate. You will therefore need to be able to produce your existing EPC (as long as it is less than ten years old) or obtain a new one.

Who can produce Energy Reports and Energy Performance Certificates?

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, only accredited Domestic Energy Assessors can produce valid EPCs. All Warmfront Team surveyors are accredited and qualified Domestic Energy Assessors.

Energy Performance Certificates for Social Housing

Working with Social Housing providers is The Warmfront Team's speciality. We help Social Landlords meet their minimum energy efficiency targets withe the help of full grant Eco funding. Contact us today and see how we can help your Social Housing organisation meet their targets.

Find out more

Domestic Energy Performance Certificate

The Warmfront Team is a team of domestic energy assessors and property surveyors that specialise in home energy efficiency surveys. We are dedicated to delivering carbon savings to private homeowners through full grant Eco funding. Get in touch and discover how we can help you today.

Find out more


  • The Warmfront Team Limited
  • Hellier House,
  • Two Woods Lane,
  • Brierley Hill,
  • DY5 1TA



Supporting Acorns

2024 The Warmfront Team Ltd